Table of Contents


Thank you for your comment! Once approved we will get back to you shortly.


Immigrate to Australia from South Africa

March 20, 2022
Myer Lipschitz

If you’re considering immigrating from South Africa, Australia may be the perfect destination for you. Australia is a popular destination for South Africans looking to start a new life abroad. With its diverse culture, beautiful landscapes, and strong economy, Australia offers plenty of opportunities for those seeking a fresh start.

It is a particularly appealing destination for South Africans because it has the closest lifestyle to a South African lifestyle than any other country. South Africans might call their barbecues “braaivleis” and prefer rugby union to Australian football rules but these are relatively superficial differences. Both countries are sports crazy and enjoy an outdoors lifestyle with a similar sense of humour and culture.

One of the main reasons people choose to immigrate to Australia is the high quality of life it offers. With a strong economy, excellent healthcare, and high standards of education, and personal safety Australia is a great place to raise a family and enjoy a comfortable lifestyle. The Australian government provides a range of social services, including healthcare and housing to ensure that all residents can access the support they need.

Australia also has a diverse and welcoming people. Australia is a melting pot of different cultures and religions, and is known for its friendly and inclusive atmosphere. Whether you’re looking to connect with other South Africans or embrace new cultures, you’ll find plenty of opportunities to do so in Australia.

Migrate to Australia

Our immigration lawyers and registered migration agents in Melbourne will be able to find you the best visa for your unique situation. You’ll be in good hands.

Attend a free seminar

Which visa should I get if I want to immigrate to Australia from South Africa?

To start your journey, you’ll need to obtain an Australian visa. There are several visa options available depending on your circumstances, including skilled worker visas, family visas, and student visas. The process of applying for a visa can be complex and time-consuming, but working with an immigration lawyer can make the process much smoother and increase your chances of success.

For those skilled migrants there are two main pathways to migrate to Australia. Either by obtaining an offer of employment from an employer prepared to act as “sponsor” and apply for a temporary skill shortage visa subclass 482. These work visas provide a temporary stay in Australia and don’t in themselves entitle want to permanent residence.

Most people on these visas would rely upon their employers to nominate them for permanent residence under a employer nomination scheme visa subclass 186.

For those South Africans in South Africa or working in a country other than Australia, general skilled migration visas might be advantageous because these visas don’t require employers to act as sponsors. In fact obtaining an offer of employment does not form part of the eligibility for these visas.

They are points tested visas and depending upon your occupation you might qualify for the skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) or a state nominated visa such as a subclass 190 or 491 visa.

Some popular work visas for South Africans that are considering to immigrate to Australia include:

190 Visa and subclass 491 visa
482 Visa (employer sponsored temporary skill shortage visa)
400 Visa (specialised work visa for short-term specialised work)
186 Visa (employer nominated permanent resident visa)

Immigration lawyers can make it easier to immigrate from South Africa to Australia

An immigration lawyer can help you navigate the visa application process and ensure that all the necessary paperwork is completed correctly. They can also provide you with advice on the best visa option for your specific situation and help you understand the requirements and obligations that come with each visa.

Once you’ve obtained a visa, you’ll be able to live and work in Australia for a specified period. If you’re looking to make Australia your permanent home, you’ll need to apply for permanent residency. This will allow you to stay in Australia indefinitely and enjoy many of the same rights and benefits as Australian citizens.

Getting Australian permanent residency and citizenship as a South African

To be eligible for permanent residency, you’ll need to meet certain criteria, including having lived in Australia for a specified period (usually four years), passing a character test, and meeting any other requirements specific to your visa category. An immigration lawyer can help you understand these requirements and guide you through the application process.

If you’ve been living in Australia for a certain period as a permanent resident (usually for at least one year), you may be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship. This will give you full rights and privileges as an Australian citizen, including the ability to vote and work without restrictions and enjoy certain government benefits.

Immigrating from South Africa to Australia can be a complex process, but with the help of an immigration lawyer, it can be much easier. They can assist you in obtaining a visa, securing permanent residency, and even guide you through the process of obtaining citizenship. With the right support and guidance, you’ll be on your way to a new life in Australia in no time.

If you are living in another country such as SingaporeHong KongUnited KingdomNew ZealandCanada, or South Africa, we also have useful guides to assist you in your journey to immigrate to Australia – just click one of the links above.



Myer Lipschitz

Myer Lipschitz was born in Johannesburg and is a graduate of the University of the Witwatersrand. In 1985 he was conferred the degree Bachelor of Laws. Myer completed his Articles of Clerkship with Ivor Trackman, Attorneys and was admitted as an Attorney to the Supreme Court of South Africa in 1988. Myer immigrated to New Zealand in 1989 and was admitted to practice law in New Zealand as a Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand...

Read More

Leave a Reply

  1. Hi
    My husband and I want to immigrate to Australia from South Africa with our 2girls. He is a police officer for the past 9years. And I work for eagle burgmann as a branch administrator also for 9years. We have been in contact with Queensland police recruitment and he is writing his proctoring test on the 16/06. I am sure all will go well and he will past. And we can go on with the next steps for him to be able to get a job offer. who do you suggest is good Immigration lawyers that we can contact to assist us in any questions and help us with the process and to give us advice on how we can do this to immigrate.

    1. Post

      Hi Sandra

      I would suggest that you contact us 🙂

      I would suggest that you complete one of our preliminary questionnaires on the following page of our website and within 24 hours we will provide you with a free preliminary assessment report outlining your visa options and advising you whether it is worth your while proceeding to having a detailed consultation with us in order to discuss appropriate visas, the requirements to obtain these visas and your migration plan.

      Please insert the comments relating to him being in contact with Queensland police recruitment et cetera in the comments section of the questionnaire.

  2. My youngest son passed away on 28 April 2022. My oldest son currently resides in Perth with his family. I would like to join them with my late son’s daughter in a permanent capacity. He is my only surviving child. I am 57yrs old and my granddaughter is 12yrs old. My son is willing for us to come over. I would like a better study opportunity for my granddaughter. Please advise. Thank you

    1. Post

      Hi Sharon
      If your son in Perth is a permanent resident and has been living in Australia for a period of two years and is well settled you could file a contributory parent residence visa application but you can’t include your granddaughter in your visa application as she doesn’t form part of your “family unit”. She would ordinarily form part of her mother’s family unit.

      I would suggest that you complete one of our preliminary questionnaires on our website and your granddaughters mother also completes one of our questionnaires. I will then peruse the information in those questionnaires and advise you whether it is worth your while spending AU$350 to have a detailed zoom consultation.

  3. Good day Mr Lipschitz. You certainly know how to work the ginger around the mouth of a family man. I’m 46 years old, from Cape Town and self employed. Working hard is nothing new to me and my hunger for knowledge and learning is what keeps me on top of my game.
    I’ve studied Graphic design, animation(2D & 3D) and web design but I’ve matured so much that I hardly look back on my studies.
    In hindsight my main objective is to secure a safe and healthy environment for my children, aged 13 and 9.
    Moving to Australia or New Zealand may be my best or only options for a brighter future for my family. I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, fellow countryman,

    1. Post

      Hi Allison

      Thanks for the well worded comment. I do like your choice of phrase 🙂

      As far as Australia is concerned the usual cut-off age for skilled migration is 45 years of age. There is no age limit on work visas however as they are just temporary in nature and don’t in themselves entitle you to permanent residence. If you were to form a relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident whilst on a work visa that relationship could be the basis of applying for permanent residence. I note that you mention children in your comment but no spouse or partner.

      New Zealand on the other hand has an age limit of 56 for it’s Skilled migration visa residence programe.

      I suggest that you start at the beginning and complete one of our preliminnary questionnaires on our website.

  4. My boyfriend and I want to move to australia. Hes 25 and im 20. He work on farms for almost 4 years and I look after children and help them with there homework for almost 3 years now. We are togther for a year now. And we really want to move to australia

    1. Hi

      If you are interested in finding out whether you qualify for a visa we recommend you complete one of our (free) preliminary evaluations. It provides us with the initial information we require to advise you whether we believe we can deliver you the immigration goal you have set (study, temporary work or permanent residence as the case may be).

      Here is the link:


  5. Good day.
    Be so kind as to give us some advice.
    My eldest do and his family is Australian citizen
    My son wants his younger brother now 28 to join him and his family in Australia as the work opportunities is great and is willing to family sponsor him. How do we start this process?

    1. Post

      Hi Christine

      Unfortunately your eldest son cannot act as “sponsor” and your younger son (the 28 year old) would probably need to apply for a skilled visa to Australia.

      I would suggest that he completes one of the free preliminary evaluations on our website and we will then advise of his visa options and whether it’s worth his while paying AU$250 to have a detailed zoom consultation with me.

  6. Good afternoon Mr Lipschitz

    My name is Emma and I’m from South Africa. I am a second year Law Student. I do have a bursary paying for my studies. I have a best friend who has already agreed to let me stay with him however, I would like to know what I should do.
    What process can I processed with? Will I be eligible to move to Australia?

    1. Post

      Hi Emma

      It’s unlikely that you would qualify for skilled migration for Australia based upon the information you have supplied. If you are in a relationship with your friend that could be a basis for a partnership visa application.

      I would suggest that you email me directly on and email me a copy of your CV.