Table of Contents


Thank you for your comment! Once approved we will get back to you shortly.


190 Visa Australia – Skilled Nominated Visa

February 9, 2022
Myer Lipschitz

What is the 190 Visa

The 190 visa lets nominated skilled workers live and work in Australia as permanent residents.

Who Can Apply for a 190 Visa?

You can apply for a 190 visa if:

  • You are nominated by an Australian state or territory.
  • You are invited to apply for the 190 visa.
  • You have a positive skill assessment.
  • You are under 45 years of age.
  • You scored at least 65 points on the score table.
  • You are nominated in a profession listed in the occupation list.

Steps in the 190 Subclass Visa process

  • You submit an expression of interest.
  • You score 65 points.
  • You are nominated for the state sponsored visa.
  • You are invited to apply for a 190 visa.
  • You apply for the 190 visa.

Expression of Interest (EOI)

To get a nomination for a 190 visa, you must first submit an expression of interest (EOI).

Your EOI will be stored for two years and you can update it before you are invited to apply if new work experiences happen or you gained new qualifications or awards.

When you complete your EOI there will be an overall score according to the information you provided and you can see the number of points you reached. To get a nomination, you must have at least 65 points- each score is given to you based on the claims you make regarding your qualifications.

You will also need to be nominated by a State Government 

If you are successfully nominated by a State Government, you will receive an invitation to apply for a visa. 

Once invited to apply under the Subclass 190 visa, you have 60 days to lodge a visa application. 

190 visa processing time

It takes a year anywhere between a three months to 18 months to process your application for a 190 visa. Some applications may be finished in fourteen months. It’s important to submit a complete application so you can get your visa faster.

Point Test 190 Visa

To get a valid nomination by a state or territory in Australia, you must have at least 65 points on the points test for a 190 visa. Below you have a score table according to the Immigration Office on how your skills and qualifications are assessed:

Point test for age

You are between 18-25 years old25 points
You are between 25-35 years old30 points
You are between 33-40 years old25 points
You are between 40-45 years old15 points

Point test for English level

You have a Competent English level0 points
You have a Proficient English level10 points
You have a Superior English level20 points

Point test for work experience

You have 3 years of work experience (overseas)0 points
You have 3-5 years of work experience (overseas)5 points
You have 5-8 years of work experience (overseas)10 points
You have 8 years and more of work experience (overseas)15 points
You have 1 year of work experience (in Australia)0 points
You have 3 years of work experience (in Australia)5 points
You have 3-5 years of work experience (in Australia)10 points
You have 5-8 years of work experience (in Australia)15 points
You have 8 years and more of work experience (in Australia)20 points

Point test for education

You have a PhD from a recognized institution20 points
You have a BA from a recognized institution15 points
You have a Masters by research from a recognized institution10 points
Diploma or trade certification
(recognised institution)
10 points
Qualification or award for your relevant occupation10 points
A doctorate with two years of academic study (by an Australian institution)10 points
You meet the Australian study requirement (you have at least 1 degree, diploma or trade certificate from an Australian institution that meets the study requirements)5 points
You completed a professional year in Australia5 points
You have a recognised qualification in a credentialled community language5 points
You have studied for your degree, diploma or certificate in regional Australia for at least a year5 points

Point test for martial status

Your partner is under 45 years old, they have a competent level of English, have relevant skills, and are nominated in a profession registered in the skilled occupation list.10 points
Your partner has a competent level of English5 points
You are either single or if you are not your partner is an Australian citizen or permanent resident10 points

Can I Change State on a 190 Visa? 

Yes, you may change states with a 190 visa although you are nominated by a specific state to get this visa. However, when you are granted the visa you agree to work within that specific state for at least two years, breaking this agreement will affect your future visa applications and citizenship application- if you plan on becoming an Australian citizen in the future.

190 Visa Conditions

The 190 visa conditions will change according to the state that nominated you for the visa initially. However, most states and territories will require you to work for at least two years within that territory. Keep in mind that violating this condition might not affect your current visa status, still, you will most likely not received another Australian visa.

Skilled Occupation List and Skills Assessment for a 190 Visa

The skilled occupation list is a compilation of eligible professions you can work in with an Australian work visa. To get a nomination for a visa 190, your profession must belong to a category listed here. In this list, you will also find the official authorities that can conduct your skill assessment.

You are responsible for contacting the assessing authorities to get your skill assessment. Once your evaluation is done, you will receive your skills report. When you are ready to apply for a 190 visa, you must submit a certified copy of the report with your application. Keep in mind that each authority has its specifications on how they conduct their assessment.

Please note that your assessment report must be at least three years old when you apply for your visa, if your report was issued for a shorter period, then that period must have not expired.

190 State Nomination NSW

New South Wales is a region in Australia that can nominate you for a 190 visa. You must contact each territory to see what specific requirements they have when it comes to getting a visa 190.

Can My Family Members Come With Me With a Visa 190?

If your family members belong to your close family unit, they can apply with you for a 190 visa. Close family members include your spouse/partner, children (minor or dependent adults), or grandchildren.

Your family members can apply at the same time as you, or they can join you at a later date. Keep in mind, that your dependents must meet the English language requirements, health requirements, and character requirements.

Please note that if for some reason your spouse and child are not applying with you, then state the reason at the time of application so that your application can be processed promptly.

Migrate to Australia

Our immigration lawyers and registered migration agents in Melbourne will be able to find you the best visa for your unique situation. You’ll be in good hands.

Attend a free seminar


Myer Lipschitz

Myer Lipschitz was born in Johannesburg and is a graduate of the University of the Witwatersrand. In 1985 he was conferred the degree Bachelor of Laws. Myer completed his Articles of Clerkship with Ivor Trackman, Attorneys and was admitted as an Attorney to the Supreme Court of South Africa in 1988. Myer immigrated to New Zealand in 1989 and was admitted to practice law in New Zealand as a Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand...

Read More

Leave a Reply

    1. Post

      Hi Anthea

      Thank you for your enquiry.

      I would suggest that you complete one of our preliminary questionnaires on the following page of our website and within 24 hours we will provide you with a free preliminary assessment report outlining your visa options and advising you whether it is worth your while proceeding to having a detailed consultation with us in order to discuss appropriate visas, the requirements to obtain these visas and your migration plan.

      I am a registered migration agent as far as Australia is concerned and a licensed immigration adviser for New Zealand and can assess your options with regard to migration to either or both countries. My licence numbers appear below in my auto signature. I have in excess of 32 years of work experience in the migration industry.

      The detailed consultation usually lasts 75 – 90 minutes and costs AU$250 and can be delivered via zoom/Skype. There is no obligation to proceed to having a detailed consultation once you complete our questionnaire.

      I look forward to receiving your completed questionnaire.